Monday, March 26, 2012

DIY Deodorant

I decided to try DIY deodorant.  I had pinned some recipes and made a slightly different version.


If you would like to check out the pins they can be found here: 
Angry Chicken - The "Pin"
It's Just my Life - The "Pin"
Frugally Sustainable - The "Pin"


and now for my recipe!


1/4c Arrowroot powder (purchased from the Bulk Barn) (in the tupperware container)
1/4 Baking Soda (just happened to have PC "Green"brand)
1/4tsp Vit E
4 shelf stable probiotic caps (I had "children's" so I am assuming the caps are smaller than the adult version which is why I used 4)
4tbs coconut oil (which is equal to 1/4c)






Since coconut oil is solid and I didn't feel like turning the stove on, I put some hot water in the bottom of the sink and placed the bowl in the sink.  This made the coconut oil melt and therefore made it much easier to mix all together.


After it was mixed and fairly runny I took a funnel and transfered the mixture to a glass jar and put a label on it.


Sorry, I cannot calculate cost this time as I do not have all my receipts anymore (and some items I just had in the house).  From memory the small bag of arrowroot powder I bought was about $5 and I have lots left.  The probiotics were expensive (about $20) but I had them already in the house (there are 40 in the box), coconut oil jar is about $10, baking soda was in the house and vitamin E I bought a jar of liquid but do not recall the price.


I did not include essential oils as this is for my dd1 and she doesn't like 'smelly stuff.'


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

1/4tsp Vit E
4 shelf stable probiotic caps (I had "children's" so I am assuming the caps are smaller than the adult version which is why I used 4)


where do you buy those two?

VMS and ScrapbookingOasis said...

I bought them at the Real Canadian Superstore. Probiotics with the other vitamins etc and the Vit E oil was also in the pharmacy/health/beauty section.